Dear Reader, below is the content of the email I sent to literary agents seeking representation for this book. It was sent on May 27th, 2021 (Exactly five years after the fire).
- Book Title: SR101— “The Book that Could…” (Total Word Count: Aprox. 94K)
- Book Synopsis: Jose Julian has been hired at Locke Recovery High School in Worcester, Massachusetts. This school was first established in 2016 to help students struggling with substance abuse. In January 2020, Jose (in recovery himself) was hired on a one-year grant to teach a course titled Emotional Intelligence. The story follows Jose along his journey to teach this experimental class: while the reader listens in on the internal struggle he has with his past.
- The story is best described as one sprinkled with more truth than fiction: Sprinkle (verb): to tell a story using pieces of the truth.
- With his program only funded until the end of second term (January 2021), Jose attempts to create something that will keep his program funded. Facing challenge after challenge (some due to the pandemic, political turmoil, and a world that seems to have lost its way, and others more personal) Jose and his students (aka: The Squad) come to realize, and accept, that this world needs a whole lot more than a teacher to save it. The class turns into an experiment that asks: “Can someone really change the world?”
- This story will make you think. It will make you laugh. It will make you cry. And then…It Will Make You Dream.
Dear Potential Squad Member,
Excuse this unorthodox introduction, but you are part of this story now. My name is Jose Julian: It is a pleasure to meet you.
Please do not consider the steps taken to promote this story as an insult to our potential future business relationship. Instead, take it as evidence of my dedication to share this story with the world. As a first-time author, trying to get people’s attention in a world so loud has been difficult. For that reason, I am reaching out to as many agents as possible in an attempt to simply get my foot in the door. That is how I have come upon you…. whoever you are.
Like you do not know me, I do not know much about you. But that is how new relationships work. Perhaps this could be a special new beginning for both of us? I look forward to hearing back from you, if you are inclined. Thank you for your time and consideration. Let this new year be magical to you and yours!
- The first chapter of this book; titled “Disclaimers,” can be found below.
- If you are interested in reading more, the story in its entirety can be read at: RecoveryHighschool.com
- There is also a Facebook page; Social Recovery 101 @RecoveryHigh, which now has over 25,000 Followers: Feel free to check that out as well.
- All Correspondence Should Be Directed To: Josephhenrie@recoveryhighschool.com
Follow Us On FaceBook: @RecoveryHigh
Read our story at: RecoveryHighSchool.com